Strategies for Action
Resources and Information in support of mobilization efforts to protect Title X. Compiled by CCRF HealthCare Coverage Cmte.
- Planned Parenthood. Take a minute to submit a comment to stop Trump-Pence from demolishing access to preventive and reproductive care.
- National Partnership for Women & Families. Submit a comment.
Stop Trump’s Gag Rule. Generation Progress and Center for American Progress. Target audience: Young People. Factsheets, social media tools, and a comment submission portal.
- Federal Registry. Statutory Requirements of Title X of the Public Health Service Act and the Title X Appropriations Acts. Agency: Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Office of the Secretary, HHS. Comments Close 07/31/2018.
- Title X: An Introduction to the Nation’s Family Planning Program. The National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA)
- The National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA) page on Title X with more information, including fact sheets, infographics, and a side-by-side comparison of the current Title X regulations with the recently released proposed Title X regulations
- Proposed Title X Regulations Could Significantly Impact Family Planning Care for Low-income Women. 2018 Kaiser Family Foundation.
- Side-by-Side Comparison. (NFPRHA)
- Use of Health Insurance Among Clients Seeking Contraceptive Services at Title X–Funded Facilities in 2016. Guttmacher Institute.
- Planned Parenthood – What is the domestic gag rule?
Title X in CA
- Title X Family Planning Program in California: Improving Public Health + Saving Taxpayer Dollars. Essential Access Health.
- The Title X Family Planning Program in California. National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association. State-specific two-pager with statistics and infographics on the impact of Title X in California.
- Title X in California IMPROVING PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAVING TAXPAYER DOLLARS. State-specific fact sheet on the impact of Title X in California.
- Impact of Family Planning Legislation. The University of Texas at Austin Texas Policy Evaluation Project. TxPEP link to their research on the impact of Family Planning legislation (includes all articles/press releases/briefs)
Specific articles and press releases that provide evidence of the impact of restricting Title X funding:
- Title X changes violate the AMA ethics code. According to the American Medical Association’s (AMA) Code of Medical Ethics, “truthful and open communication between doctor and patient is essential for trust in the relationship and for respect for autonomy.”1 The doctor’s role is to assist patients in making autonomous, informed decisions about their health care through counseling and to refer for care if the doctor cannot provide it. A new regulation proposed by the US Department of Health and Human Services would require providers in the Title X Family Planning Program to withhold information from patients and therefore violate the AMA ethics code.
- The Impact of Reproductive Health Legislation on Family Planning Clinic Services in Texas. Reserach article.
- Providing Family Planning Services at Primary Care Organizations after the Exclusion of Planned Parenthood from Publicly Funded Programs in Texas: Early Qualitative Evidence. Research article.
- New Research Shows the Impact of Defunding Planned Parenthood. Effect of Removal of Planned Parenthood from the Texas Women’s Health Program.
- Women’s experiences after Planned Parenthood’s exclusion from a family planning program in Texas. Assessed the impact on Depo shot (depot medroxyprogesterone) continuation when a large care provider was banned from a state-funded family planning program.
- What Texas’ Experience Tells Us About Planned Parenthood Defunding Plan. Opinion/Editorial By TxPEP Lead Investigator, Joseph Potter.
- Cutting Family Planning in Texas Research article.
Press Releases / Statements
- Health Affairs Blog. “A Domestic Gag Rule And More: The Trump Administration’s Proposed Changes To Title X”. Concise yet thorough summary of the issues at stake with the proposed Title X rules.
- CA Attorney General. Letter from the CA Attorney General to federal administration opposing the proposed Title X rules.
- National Health Law Program. “Trump HHS Rule Targets Federal Funding for Women’s Health Care”
- Guttmacher Institute. “Most Contraceptive Patients at Title X–Funded Health Centers in 2016 Had Insurance Coverage and Planned to Use It to Pay for Services”.
- An Abortion Provider Explains What’s Really at Stake With Changes to Title XFunding. Diane Harvath-Cosper. Self. June 21, 2018
Federal Funding / Appropriations
- House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies (Labor-HHS) draft spending package for fiscal year (FY) 2018-2019. Eliminates Title X funding and blocks PP health centers from receiving federal funding.